Bringing the snark back to snacking

Bringing the snark back to snacking
Lots of things taste better than being thin feels:
A gooey, cheesy, greasy pizza
A chocolate eclair
Ice cream and gelato
Movie theatre popcorn with extra butter
What's yours?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Do You Like Beans?

Do you eat beans with George Wendt? (Animaniacs)

For the last few weeks, my eating has been out of control. I flew home to Cincinnati for 8 days for a wedding, and I ate everything in sight -- good, comfort Cincinnati foods like Skyline Chili and La Rosa's, but also crap foods like candy and Steak 'N Shake.

As a result, of course, my weight is now the highest it has been in years. I'm at a weight I swore I'd never go back to.

For the last few weeks I've also been reading The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. He promotes what he calls a "slow carb" diet that's stricter than any low-carb diet I've done (mostly South Beach). No dairy at all. No fruits, LOTS of beans. I hate beans. What's kind of selling me on this diet is that it's encouraged to take a cheat day. All you can eat of whatever you want one day a week.

Now, let me say that I know proper nutrition. I know fruits aren't the devil. I know it's better to eat whole, clean foods all the time, and not a good idea to gorge yourself on junk. But the book is very persuasive in its results. So I'm giving it a try.

Have I mentioned I hate beans? It's a texture thing, really. They're grainy and chewy and UGH.

The author recommends taking pictures of your meals to keep you honest. Yesterday I had scrambled eggs with spinach and turkey bacon for breakfast
NO BEANS
a salad with salmon, kalamata olives, black beans, egg and artichoke hearts for lunch, and a "fajita bowl" consisting of grilled chicken, pinto beans and guacamole for dinner.
It tastes worse than it looks.

No pictures of lunch, but trust me, it was delicious. Dinner not so much. Oh God, how I hate pinto beans. I ate a few good forkfuls and then just ate the chicken pieces.

Snacks included turkey jerky (but at $5 a bag, I'm trying to ration it), peanuts and almonds with cocoa powder and cinnamon.

I made it through day one. I'm really only sure I can do this at all because of the cheat day. The last few times I've tried South Beach, I get so nauseous from all the meat and protein by around day three or four, that I just give up. Ferriss states up front in his book that this is not a fun diet. I have a whole closet full of clothes I can't wear. I'm ready for less fun.

4 comments:

  1. I hate pinto beans, kidney beans, navy beans, great northern beans, and those black eyed "peas" that really are beans. Love black beans, and legumes such as chickpeas when flavored correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iiick beans. I'm sorry. I don't even mind beans, but not in those quantities. Where is the line drawn for fruit, though? Do they include tomatoes, or is it just sweet fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting used to black beans, since they seem to take the flavor of whatever they're cooked with pretty well.

    I believe it's just sweet fruits, because tomatoes are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like black beans, but I LOVE kidney beans. It's funny that you start this now because just yesterday I said to David, "Kidney beans are my favorite bean. Is it weird to have a favorite bean?" and then before bed I said, "I really like being married to you. More than (let's say Coke Zero) and just slightly less than kidney beans. But I really like kidney beans." Can you mush them up into a hummus-like substance? Maybe a low-fat hummus with veggies would be suitable. You can make it with cannelini or great northern beans instead of chickpeas even.

    ReplyDelete