Bringing the snark back to snacking

Bringing the snark back to snacking
Lots of things taste better than being thin feels:
A gooey, cheesy, greasy pizza
A chocolate eclair
Ice cream and gelato
Movie theatre popcorn with extra butter
What's yours?

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Adult Food Fun Time

Being an adult is really hard, you know? Especially with the whole "feeding yourself" thing.

I was a very picky eater as a child, and I largely outgrew that as I got older. I'll happily try anything at least once, and I've discovered a lot of "weird" foods that I now love, like escargot or kale. I don't have a problem clearing my plate when dinner is put in front of me at a restaurant or by one of my many friends who are wonderful cooks.

Why, then, is it so hard for me to feed myself?? It's one of the worst chores of being an adult -- even worse than having to clean the litter box. When I'm living with someone, I don't mind making healthy, delicious, balanced meals. But by myself, it's too much effort. I can barely stand to eat cheese and Triscuits.

I try every now and then. I find a recipe that might work, I buy ingredients, and then I proceed to never make it. It just seems like too much effort, and it doesn't even sound any good any more.

If I do manage to make a recipe, I inevitably make too much and choke down the leftovers for weeks. I'm still eating balsamic chicken and rice from two weeks ago.

So for a few days I eat whatever one recipe I managed to make, then I go back to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cheese and crackers and then I am just so bored of eating I can't stand it. Then I get a pizza.

There's a cycle here that needs breaking. I have SO MANY RECIPES. I have five or six cookbooks, physical books, then I have a few e-book cookbooks plus recipes from the internet that I've saved. So I'm going to try to start a bi-weekly cooking show where I cook through my cookbooks on YouTube! It helps me actually fucking make some food, it maybe helps another single dieter looking for something easy (because none of these recipes start with "in your dutch oven," I fucking promise you that), and potentially it's entertaining for everyone!

I'm kind of excited...we'll see how this goes! I'll probably work on filming the first one on Sunday, so expect something some time next week!


What do you do when you don't want to cook??

1 comment:

  1. When I don't want to cook (which is like every Sunday), I put on the happiest, peppiest music and blast it real loud and then tell myself I only have to chop this ONE THING. Then I chop it and inevitably it's easier to chop the next thing or marinate the chicken or turn on the oven after that. If it's particularly difficult, I get myself a glass of wine, or go lie down for a little bit. But music or a podcast (NIGHTVALE YAY) or even a movie you've seen before helps take the tedium out of it.

    ReplyDelete