Bringing the snark back to snacking

Bringing the snark back to snacking
Lots of things taste better than being thin feels:
A gooey, cheesy, greasy pizza
A chocolate eclair
Ice cream and gelato
Movie theatre popcorn with extra butter
What's yours?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The "L" Word

This might be my biggest pet peeve in all the diet-verse. It’s Hooked on Phonics 101, people. When you lose weight, your clothes become loose. Nothing makes me judge you harder than misspelling this word (unless you spell "dessert" as "desert." I live in the desert. It is not a sweet treat). One “o” makes the z sound. Two make the s sound. It’s so prevalent throughout the online weight communities, that I think smart people are actually beginning to doubt themselves and start using the wrong word.

Nowhere, however, have I seen anything as bad as this one acquaintance I used to know. She was successful on Weight Watchers, and even became an employee. But she always used to say both online and out loud that she “loss” 50 pounds. A friend of mine used to joke that she must have lost the “t” somewhere in there too. This was the same girl who told us she didn’t want to eat at a Thai restaurant because she didn’t like “thigh” food.

I'm not saying everyone on the internet needs to be a spelling bee winner, but if you're a part of a certain community, it would behoove you to be able to properly spell key words.
My boyfriend would like to add the point that we shouldn't be saying "lose" weight anyway, as that plants the thought in our mind that it's something we need to find and get back, generally in a half gallon of ice cream. He recommends switching to "closer to my target weight." All hail the power of positive thinking!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! It's one thing to occasionally add an extra "o" to the word lose, but it's another thing entirely to do it habitually, especially if you are writing about fat/weight loss. I see it every single day on the internet. Do these people really think that "loose" is the appropriate word or do they just not give a flying fig about the English language? I don't understand.

    Scott
    http://oneeightyfive.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete